Our mission is to operate the largest decentralized storage system in the world. Our Virtual Power Plant, that scales at extremely-low per-device cost, can be used to offer valuable services to utilities and system operators, transforming end-users into green, active and profitable stakeholders of the energy transition.
ThermoVault is headquartered in Belgium (Genk and Leuven), with access to laboratory and office space on the UC Berkeley campus. We are supported by professors from KU Leuven and UC Berkeley, UC’s startup accelerator ‘The Foundry’, Start It @KBC and Netwerk Ondernemen.
ThermoVault has developed an all-in software and hardware IoT platform for energy services that retrofits residential customers’ existing electric thermal appliances into energy-saving and lucrative grid-responsive energy storage devices. We currently control over 3 MW of storage in Belgium and France, with EU-certified Ecodesign savings between 12 and 28%.
About the job
You drive the development of ThermoVault’s Energy Management Applications, focused on a broad range of electrical heating appliances:
- Develop modelling, optimisation and control algorithms. Hereby stacking values
ranging from energy efficiency and tariff optimisations on household level, to
wide-spread balancing services on community and/or nationwide level.
- Cover the CI/CD flow starting from simulation studies up to production-grade
deployment of your strategies
- Lead our participation in a European H2020 project with pilot deployments in
France and Portugal, focused on steering heating appliances towards energy
efficiency and self-consumption on household and community level
You will be collaborating with the IT and R&D departments on commercial and
innovation projects on a European scale.
- Master or PhD in electrical engineering, software engineering, mathematical
engineering, data science
- Computer Science, or equivalent experience in a relevant field such as
engineering, software development, physics, or data modeling
- You have 4+ years of experience in modelling and control systems for
energy-related applications and good software development skills
- You can translate real-world problems into automated real-time solutions
- Experience working in a production software environment using cloud technologies, with time-series databases and Python code
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- A team player, yet able to work independently without daily supervision
- Structured, organized, pragmatic and deliverable-focused. You can gather data and take the straightest, no-nonsense path to a solution
- Available to start in the upcoming months
- Ability to frequently visit our office in Leuven
- Knowledge on electricity markets, machine learning (especially time-series forecasting) and advanced optimization methods (distributed control and stochastic optimization) is a bonus
What’s in it for you
Become a part of a growing deep-tech company, operating at an intersection of energy, big data and IoT
Collaborate with ThermoVault’s team and industry leaders on introduction of new innovative technologies in the market
Flexible working location, with frequent visits to Leuven (company HQ)
Competitive remuneration package & benefits
Flexible working hours
You can expect a challenging and diverse job, with a high degree of personal responsibility and great prospects for your professional development. At first, you will be assisted in your new role by the sales manager and with more experience, become increasingly independent.
Get in touch
Send your resume to email@example.com. After the pre-selection process, we will contact you to schedule an online interview.